Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBAW - Readers

Today's Book Blogger Appreciation Week topic:


Book bloggers blog because we love reading. Has book blogging changed the way you read? Have you discovered books you never would have apart from book blogging? How has book blogging affected your book acquisition habits? Have you made new connections with other readers because of book blogging? Choose any one of these topics and share your thoughts today!


Pretty much, I’m the same old book geek I’ve always been.


The main thing book blogging has done is made me more aware of the patterns in my reading. (“Wow—I’m reading nothing but journalist memoirs these days!”)


And reading others blogs definitely has alerted me to books I wouldn’t’ve read otherwise. Thanks to Bybee for writing about The Best of Everything and thanks to Gary for writing about The Nobodies Album. They’re books I like well enough that I’m still thinking about them.


And sometimes reading another blogger's review gives me the OK to skip a book I wanted to skip anyway, even though everyone else on the earth is reading it.

5 comments:

Erin said...

I love how blogging and really paying attention to what you're reading highlights patterns. And it happens to me sometimes, too, that a certain review will make me feel ok with passing on the current hot title.

Kailana said...

I like reviews so I can pass on books. There are bloggers that I really trust their opinion, so if they don't like a book I figure I won't either.

Unruly Reader said...

Erin -- Yes, exactly.

Erin and Kailana -- Sometimes it's really a relief, isn't it? Getting the OK to pass on a title that just doesn't appeal...

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I pay a lot more attention to what I'm reading now too. It's hard to remember back to pre-blogging and what sorts of books I routinely read, except for the very memorable ones.

Unruly Reader said...

Kim -- So true! Writing about books cements them in my memory. The pre-blogging reading... some of it's pretty hazy.