Saturday, October 22, 2011

Read-a-Thon: I'm awake


Good morning, good people of the Read-a-Thon!

We're a little more than 1 hour in, and I've been reading since 7:30 a.m. (even though the Midwest's start time was 7:00. I am a lazy son-of-a-gun in the morning).

I just popped over to the Read-a-Thon mother ship, and here's the first thing on the to-do list for the day (other than: Read):



1)Where are you reading from today?
my cozy little home in the Midwest

2)Three random facts about me…
1. I like things to be organized. 
2. I'm vaguely pigeon-toed.
3. I like driving fast.

3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
There are 9 books in my Read-a-Thon pile, and I expect to read 4 of them. I've also got about 15 other TBRs scattered around the place, so if that first group of 9 doesn't trip my trigger, I got back-up. 

4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
I'd like to finish 4 books and read until the 3 a.m. hour. (Usually that's when I start conking out.)

5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?
If you're not liking any given book, bail out. Eat as needed. Visit other Read-a-Thon-ers' sites and cheer them on. 


My first book of the day is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. Ann of Books on the Nightstand raved about it in a recent podcast, and I believe she said she'd been reading the book when Hurricane Irene swept through her area. Her home lost power, so she bought a second copy of the book as an eBook, so she could keep reading it on her iPad. That's a sign of a good book. (Also -- score one point for the back-lit eReaders that allow reading-in-the-dark.)

I'm on page 83 of The Sisters Brothers, and I'm liking it lots. It's got a first-person narrator, and the guys are gruff and brotherly (in the sense that there's always rivalry, and they insult one another at every opportunity. Since they insult with very few words, it's entertaining as all heck).

OK. Back to the book. (I love Read-a-Thon day.)

8 comments:

alitareads said...

Ha! Sounds like a great book to start with. Happy readathon-ing!

Unruly Reader said...

Alita -- Thanks! Yeah, I lucked out with my first book of the day. It's a good one.

Marq said...

My goal is to finish 4 books also. It seems like I hit a wall at book 3. I'm determined for that not to happen this time.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I had a hard time waking up this morning too. Seven on a Saturday is rough! Oh well :) Happy readathon!

Unruly Reader said...

Marq -- Agreed! I always have a terrible time picking the 3rd/4th books of the day.

Unruly Reader said...

Kim -- The only good thing is at least it's not, say, 5 am! Happy Read-a-Thon!

Alexa said...

Happy read-a-thon! Have a good time reading :)

Unruly Reader said...

Alexa -- Thanks! The day's going well.