Friday, January 24, 2014

Out of the rut, into the pit of despair

The Dinner by Herman Koch

From the depths of my forever reading rut, I listened to a fiction audiobook. That’s some almost-progress, I’m telling you.

This one drew me in because:

- I heard it described as the “European Gone Girl” (which it is not).

- It takes place in Amsterdam, and I was just there.

So the thing starts off slowly, slowly, slowly. A man (the narrator) and his wife are meeting his brother and sister-in-law for dinner. And he’s not looking forward to it, because he detests his brother, the big-shot politician.

And then the thing starts to gain some momentum, as you realize things are not what they seem. (This unreliable narrator aspect and family troubles -- that's probably why they’re saying Gone Girl about this book, but I’m still not buying it.)

And then the thing gets really dark.

And then I was ready for it to be over, actually, because I’m not crazy about residing in the darkness.

This one’ll have you thinking about it long afterward. Whether you want to or not.


2 comments:

Citizen Reader said...

Actually, this is the first review EVER of this book that has made me want to read it. Although in the middle of this winter, if I want to take on more darkness, I'm just not sure...

Unruly Reader said...

Yeah, it's pretty grim. Maybe wait until the sun shines again? (Maybe in May?)