Friday, February 21, 2014

More doom. More gloom.

Five Days in November by Clint Hill with Lisa McCubbin

This was a positive reading experience, guys, even though the book is sad. I picked up this book before bedtime one night, and ended up reading way later (way later) than I’d planned.

Though, as I’ve said before, I know this story.  

I mean, for goodness’ sake, we all do.  


(photo courtesy of the John F. Kennedy
Presidential Library and Museum)


I’d read Clint Hill’s other book Mrs. Kennedy and Me and loved it. So I wondered if this book would feel redundant. But its focus is quite different. While the first book dealt with his working relationship with Jacqueline Kennedy, this book is all about the trip to Texas in November 1963. And it’s filled with photos, many of which I’d never seen.

While I’ve read a lot of books about JFK, I tend not to focus on those days in November. Other than William Manchester’s remarkable The Death of a President, I’ve focused on the president’s life rather than his death.  

But the way Clint Hill’s book brings the behind-the-scenes perspective to the story makes this book different. It feels like someone describing a death in the family. 

And it's heartbreaking. 


2 comments:

Susan Bybee said...

When I see that picture of the Kennedys coming down the steps of the airplane, I want to stand in their path till they turn around and get back on.

Unruly Reader said...

I like that idea.